Lab opening time: 1:30pm
Today was bag and tag day. Naturally, everyone’s attention was on the robot and getting it ready for the bag. One of the first items of business was to weight the robot to see what weight we were at because we knew that we had more parts to put on the robot. When we weighted the robot, the scale read 119.7 pounds. After adding some of the weight we knew we were going to add, the grand total was 122.0 pounds. We then discussed ways in which we could lighten the robot. One of the first items to go were the Team 696 name plates because each one weighted about a pound. The solution to the name plates was to use 1/16″ Delrin and then use black vinyl for the letters. We also took out the two spare Victor SPs we had on the robot and we are also going to do some pocketing on the elevator crossmember beam and on the elevator tensioning plate. We also replaced the larger green Banebot wheels with the smaller blue ones which may shave off a little bit of weight.
After this, some students went down to the gym to grab all of the field pieces and bring them up to the auditeria were we would be practicing today. Then they set up the field and got ready for driver practice.
The main goal for practice today was to get the autonomous code working and also to practice intaking from the human feeder station. We also worked on building the coopertiton stack and driving with six totes. When we timed one of the human feeder loading of six totes and then scoring them, it took us 1:30min. This was too long and we are trying to figure out a way to make stacks faster.
With just under two hours to go, we ran into one slight problem. One of the intake pivots came off because the weld was not holding the pivot in place. Since the intake rollers are a necessity, we took off that intake and re-welded the pivot back on and hopefully it will stay.
Mr. Widholm worked on the newly designed swerve tubes and a chain tensioning piece that will hopefully keep the chain from stretching the spring and scratching the battery box.
Business team worked on getting the sponsorship panels mounted along with helping the media team set up for the full robot pictures.
We set up and shot as professional of a photo as we could with the time and resources we had. Although we had purchased a large 10’x15′ sheet of Muslin cloth for the backdrop, it came folded and had terrible creases we were not able to get out. Also, our lighting was not ideal, but we did the best we could with what we had. Much Photoshopping will be required. It was a bit of a mad dash toward the end, with the photo shoot happening between 11:25 and 11:50 PM.
At 11:50 PM, we pulled the robot out of the photo shoot and quickly executed plans to dismount the fork assembly and other components we planned to withhold as part of the 30 pound allowance. At 12 midnight on the dot, the seal went on the bag.
And as a side note, we absolutely hate bagging. It’s pointless. It’s completely an honor system anyway, and makes the robot unnecessarily difficult to transport. We’d be perfectly content locking it in a room and not touching it. It’s no different than bagging in principle. All I can say is there will be long lines through doorways this year; that’s for sure.
Lab closing time: 1:30 am on 2/18/15