Lab opening time: 1:30pm
We are now ⅓ of the way through build season and still there is a lot left to do. We are hoping to finish manufacturing the swerve module parts by Sunday so that we can send them to anodizing. We are also hoping to get our website updated within the next few days so that viewers can see updated pictures and info about our team.
Today we started the session off with a team-wide meeting where announcements were made about our new fundraiser, selling oil change coupons, and the cost of the optional Ventura regional. Also during the team meeting, we watched the FIRST video on safety just to remind people about safety in the lab and being cautious about the clothing worn during machine operation.
After the meeting, every subgroup broke off and did there own tasks.
Media team worked on photographing the newly machined CNC parts that were made yesterday. Chris and Ryan finished editing and uploaded the Kickstarter video. They also set up a time-lapse GoPro camera in the lab for a few hours to test out how long of a duration it could record. It turns out, that if they run the camera for nine hours a day and do 15 frames a minute they will be still be able to fit it all onto one 32 GB SD card.
Business team went out into the community to try and speak to company owners about potential sponsorship. They were fortunate enough to receive a $50 donation already. They were not able to speak with all the owners today but did collect data about when the owners would be available to talk. Business team announced a new fundraiser today. Allstate Auto is giving team 696 a rare opportunity to sell oil change and safety check coupons. Each member of the team is required to sell two oil change and safety check coupons for $35 a piece (actual retail price is $90) and 100% of the profit will be donated to team 696. See Mr. Hoard for more information.
The CAM and CNC team worked to machine bearing blocks today. In total, 14 were made and we realized later that we should have made 16. The operations were to do a high speed open profile, a clean circle, and then flip the part over and face the other side off. This process went smoothly with the CNC machinist doing one operation and then the other on the two vices positioned with in the HAAS Mini Mill. We then made a bearing block fixture that would hold the already machined bearing blocks in place so that we could drill and tap some 10-32 holes. The trouble came when we tried to make the holes. When we ran the operation, the drill and tapping operation only made ⅓ of a hole in the actual bearing block. After an assessment of the problem, we figured out that there was a problem in where the part was placed within OneCNCXR5. After that fix and an added chamfer to get rid of the burr that the drill and tapping operation made.
The CAD team continued working on modeling the frame and the elevator of the robot itself.
The prototyping team made good progress on the robot prototype today. The elevator was mounted on the chassis and the forks were attached to the elevator also. The prototyping team spent much of the day remounting and replacing many of the old prototypes in order to make one coherent prototype instead of having several independent mechanisms. All is looking good for the prototyping team but many of the elevator’s bearing mounts are breaking because they are only 3D printed but the elevator is stable enough to test whether or not totes can be stacked. So far it looks like the elevator cannot hold much weight but hopefully after the elevator gets a diagonal brace, it will be able to lift more.
Lab closing time: 10:00pm